Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lessons of 2009

2009 was a difficult year for me. I learned a lot of lessons - many of them the hard way! Things like: husbands need to feel useful even when their health makes it necessary for them to slow down and that even though you are excited about the prospect of expanding your business to make up for his loss of income, he doesn't necessarily share your excitement. Things like most people don't understand your need to stay home and create your own sources of income instead of going out and getting a "real" job - especially when your husband is seriously ill. And most importantly, things like you just have to do what's right for you and your family - regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I think that was the toughest thing for me to face this year. Someone would ask me what I was going to do now that Dearl had to retire and I would say look for ways to expand my business and increase my income. And most of them would inevitably look at me like I was crazy and then ask if I wasn't going to get a "real" job. "Real" job! Like getting up everyday and coaching clients, helping my network marketing team grow their businesses, writing articles, and developing the "It Should Be a Dog's World" line of products isn't really working. These people were my friends and family and I guess I expected them to be more supportive. It hurt when they weren't. Worse, I began to doubt myself the more I listened to them. Was I doing the right thing? Would we be able to survive without Dearl's full income?

It took me a while to remember that I am not here to please everyone. As long as my husband is supportive and I am doing what I feel is right for me, the rest of them don't matter. When you are chasing your dreams, many people just don't understand. They expect you to fit into the same narrow niche they exist in and get upset when you dare to step out.

After going through so much the past few months and finally realizing that I don't care about what everyone else thinks, I decided it was the perfect lesson to share with you for my first post after being absent for so long. Why? Because if I am dealing with this issue I'll bet that many others are too.

You can't please everybody. Trite but true. All you can do is tune out the naysayers. Ignore or avoid those that fill you with negativity. Find the path that's right for you and don't let anyone steer you from it. Surround yourself with like-minded, positive people that will support.

When I first got involved in network marketing, most of my friends laughed at me and I almost let them convince me I was wrong. When I told them I was building a business around my dog, they thought I was crazy and again, caused me to doubt myself. And when I told them I was going to start teaching others to do the same things I do, they laughed and asked me who would pay for that? I'm glad to say that I didn't listen to them and in the end followed my own instincts. The years since have been amazing in so many ways. Tough at times, challenging always, exciting, fulfilling, and profitable.

Let's make 2010 awesome! Are you ready? Take the first steps today. Kick the whiners and naysayers out of your life. Find a better group of people to surround yourself with - ones that are working to build their dreams and want to help you reach yours. Decide what it is you really want from life and create your plan to get there. Need help? Contact me via email (boomerbizcoach@live.com) or phone (479-790-9953) and we'll work together to find the course that is right for you and build your plan to reach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment